The Library of Congress (LC), with millions of books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections, is the oldest federal cultural institution of the United States, and it serves as the research arm of the Congress of US.
The mission of Library of Congress is to make its resources available and useful to the Congress and the American people and to sustain and preserve a universal collection of knowledge and creativity for future generations.
The Library of Congress web site contains selective links providing authoritative, in-depth information about the nations and other areas of the world. They are arranged by country or area with the links for each sorted into a wide range of broad categories.
Here is some links I found which maybe of interest to Singaporean:
COUNTRY PROFILE: SINGAPORE (updated on July 2006)http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/Singapore.pdf
- Formal Name: Republic of Singapore (English-language name). Also, in other official languages: Republik Singapura (Malay), Xinjiapo Gongheguo― 新加坡共和国 (Chinese), and Cingkappãr ...
- Short Form: Singapore.
- Term for Citizen(s): Singaporean(s).
- Date of Independence: August 31, 1963, from Britain; August 9, 1965, from the Federation of Malaysia.
- Main Title: Singapore : a country study / Federal Research Division, Libarary of Congress ; edited by Barbara Leitch LePoer. Washington, D.C.: The Division: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1991
- Library of Congress Call Number DS609 .S55 1991
- As the data is as of December 1989, the information is good for historical background and general understanding, yet some key statistics, facts and figures need some update.
The site is created and maintained by MICA (The Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts'). Look up under the tag "Who we are" you will see the following:
- The Singapore Yearbook is an annual update of the major events that have taken place in Singapore and the key achievements of Singapore in the previous calendar year.
- It provides an overview of what each government ministry and their agencies have achieved in the previous calendar year, as well as the projects and initiatives that Singapore is working on to further the progress of Singapore.