Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Learners, doers and teachers

Learning is finding out what you already know.

Doing is demonstrating that you know it.
Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you.

You are all learners, doers, teachers ...

-- Richard Bach (1977), IIllusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

I read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" in the late 70's and like Richard Bach's writing.  The above quotation I just received from an email makes me recall my reading experience in my younger days and I hope to read other titles written by him in the near future. 
 
The experience in reading I had in the late 70's may not be the same now, and I would like to see the changes.
 
Maybe we are just learners who like to find out what we already know! 
 
By demonstrating what we know, we become the doers.
 
With the abilities to do and share, we teach.  It then helps to remind ourselves and others what we like to repeat in our learning.
 
Hence, like many others who enjoy teaching and training, I just do it and let the learners who already know understand how well they know!
 
That may conclude my recent experience in teaching and assessing "Bibliograhic Control" module for library support staff.
 
If you do not know the subject matter, it is hard to learn and master it through short courses!
 
For the Bibliograhic Contral module, attending the course is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching and conducting training, allow the trainers to remind learners that they know the subject matters well enough to gain more understanding from the training.

Dexterine Ho

No comments: