Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 15-17 PPM-LAS Conference

Attending the PPM-LAS Conference last week was a good social and academic holiday for me.

31 of us from Singapore made our way to Malacca for the PPM-LAS Joint Conference and the travel details were as follows:

Singapore to Malacca, Thurs 15 March 2012.
Time to meet: 1:45pm
Pick-up point: Kranji MRT, outside the Money Changer.
Exit the gates and turn left and you will see the money changer.
Drop-off in Malacca: Seri Costa Hotel and Hotel Mahkota only.

Malacca to Singapore, Sat 17 March 2012.
Time to meet: 5:00pm (Tentative)
Pick-up point: Seri Costa Hotel and Hotel Mahkota only. (Tentative)
Drop-off  in Singapore: Jurong East MRT/Bus interchange only at around 10pm.

The package I had was the "all inclusive twin-sharing package" which cost only S$210 as LAS sponsored coach transportation costs for all LAS Members.

Ms Janice Chia is the Chief Co-ordinator for our conference's trip, and with "her calm" and organised work, we all "felt very much at ease", quoting Mr Gene Tan's words!

Thanks Janice for her great job and LAS for sponsoring coach transportation!

I think my ex-colleague, Ms Yvonne Yin from NIE has brought back fond memories of the Malacca trip:
=====
"I went bowling for the first time in my life! Soo Miang kindly told me to look for a no. 7 ball, which is the lightest, and showed me which fingers to insert into the holes. The 1st 2 balls were gutterballs (i.e., went into the drain/longkang), but I manage to down a skittle at the 3rd attempt! I was very touched to see Ms Sylvia Yap (NUS Chief Librarian) clapping enthusiastically!"

"On the way back, Mr Gene Tan (President, LAS) asked if we had enjoyed ourselves. I shouted "Yes", and Soo Miang said, "Especially Yvonne! She went bowling!" I added, "For the first time in my life!" Gene Tan apparently didn't catch what Soo Miang had said because he asked, "You went shopping for the first time in your life?" I started laughing, and it was Ms Sylvia Yap who said, "Bowling! She had a few strikes!"



=====

Cheers to Yvonne for making the attempt!

I am sure there are more stories from other LAS members and I look forward to their sharing!
====
Notes: The official LAS blog has the full write-up:

LAS-PPM Conference Melaka 16 to 17 March 2012
Reported by Hilary Ho from NIE Library is posted on http://www.las.org.sg/wp/sjlim/2012/03/las-ppm-conference-melaka-16-to-17-march-2012/
 

Dexterine Ho Soo Miang
Updated LAS links on 27 March 2012

No comments: