Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blood donation: can I donate?

Today, I have some new discovery and new learning on blood donation.

I fixed an appointment online two days ago for blood donation and going through the screening process this afternoon.

In the screening process, I discover something new like "Can I donate?" and know more details on "Who can donate."

Health Science Authority encouraged donor to come forward and make a blood donation, nevertheless, it is good to view the following links to understand who will qualify as donor:

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/health_services/blood_donation.html

In addition, before making a donation, it is important that you take some time to view the links that may be relevant to you below:

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/health_services/blood_donation/can_i_donate/when_not_to_donate.html

I was not aware of the following when I do the booking online, and only learn it in person today:

"Please inform the attending doctor or nurse if you have been to:

United Kingdom or France http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/health_services/blood_donation/can_i_donate/when_not_to_donate/overseas_travel.html

*Visited or lived in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man or the Channel Island) between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative period of 3 months or more; ..."

As a post-graduate student from College of Librarianship, University of Wales, I was in UK for one academic year in the 1980s, hence, I fall under this caterogy and can not make any blood donation.

I recalled that in 1993, I had made a donation, and the nurse told me that it was before the discovering of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (vCJD or nvCJD), Mad Cow Diseases, and the screening criteria was not imposed then!

I will not be eligible to donate blood indefinitely (vCJD risk precaution) and that is something new I have learnt about my blood and eligibilities of donating blood in Singapore!

No comments: