Search This Blog

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Yvonne Yin's memories of Mrs Margaret Thatcher


Just received the following email message from my friend Yvonne Yin:

=====
The Telegraph, a British newspaper, invited its readers to share their memories, thoughts, etc. re Lady Thatcher. They have kindly published my contribution:

I was a Malaysian secondary schoolgirl in Kuala Lumpur (KL) in 1977 when our trainee teacher asked us to imagine we were interviewing someone who had arrived from the future in a time machine and to compile a list of questions and answers. My question no. 2 was:
Will Mrs. Margaret Thatcher become Prime Minister of Britain?

And the answer I provided was: "Yes, she will. She will steer [the] British economy out of the doldrums and put an end to 'closed shop' unions". (For the record, I have kept my composition book to this day).

Later, in 1979, my father, Jordan Yin, happened to be in England during the General Election campaigning. As he had to return before the election on May 3rd, he drafted a letter to Mrs Thatcher and addressed it to No. 10, Downing Street because "I know this is where you'll be after the election."

I can still remember his scream of surprise and delight when, on 23rd May, barely 3 weeks after the election, he received a handwritten thank-you letter from Mrs Thatcher herself.

Yvonne Yin, Singapore
=====

The URL is here (Just use the find feature in the web browser and search for Yvonne Yin):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9979932/Telegraph-readers-remember-Margaret-Thatcher.html

What a great link I have from someone who I know for years!

It makes my day!

Cheers!

Dexterine Ho Soo Miang

No comments: