Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Attachment

People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them.

-- George Bernard Shaw


When I spent many long nights reposting my NIE 2003- 2005 SM 2 and 3 student name lists on my blog, I somehow do felt that I am doing something to fulfil my attachment and it is a burden that I self-imposed.

I think the memory I have in 2001 to 2007 teaching "Digital Literacy Skills" NTU students who are SM 2 and 3 scholars from PRC is something I treasured. At the beginning, we only have Microsoft Office Skills and Library Database Searching Techniques to impart to students. After web became a common communication interface, we introduced it in the course and started to use Geocities to compose web pages in 2002.

I have all the 2003 -2005 students' web sites log on my web pages for assessment purposes and it was a nice place for me to revisit it when I shown new students the work done by their seniors.
Thoughout the years, I have increased my teaching load from 4 classes to 7 classes per year.

Going retrospectively, it is a burden to do the list again now as some of the text were in html codes and have to be re-edited into normal text.

Having the list in the past years and building slowly is less stressful than converting it within a few days before 26 Oct 2009.

I just cannot bear having the list disappear forever when I know that Geocities is closing the free web hosting websites. That is why I think I am attached to my burden.

I do not think others will find my job worthwhile, yet somehow, I think if my ex-students found the listing in the future, they may appreciate it.

Well, I do it to keep my teaching memory in my treasure troll. It is something that is self-fulfiling for me. Hence, I echo what the quotation say, "People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them."

Do you do something like that once in a while?

If you do, you know what I mean and how I feel!

Cheers!


Dexterine Ho

No comments: